Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Bag of Fabric

Hi all, when I arrived home there was a shopping bag of fabric scraps. All pieces were at least 8 1/2" wide so I knew they were meant to be cut up for LWR quilts etc. I am pretty sure the bag came from Marjie, but let me know if I am wrong.Well it sat there for about 5 days and then I started in on it. Who knows what comes over me and I do such a thing. but I cut three LWR quilt kits including bindings and one backing from the fabrics and this AM cut 12 school bags from the last, large, heavier fabric. HURRAY!! I love it!! I was so inspired that I sewed together a Lap quilt for Winchester House Nursing Home and put together 6 LWR sewing kits and 3 LWR layettes. I only had to run out to Target for a few layette items. I have already put the sewing kits, layettes and 13 finished LWR quilts in my car for the Quilting day planned at Grace Lutheran for next Sat. See Nancy's comment after the 8/27 post "Marilyn's Comments" to learn more about Lutheran World Relief and the Quilting Day. She also has some good links in the comment.

Here is a brief supply list for the:

LWR Quilts- 64"x 80" made from 80-8 1/2" blocks of varying degrees of beautiful coordination,(meaning some are ugly and some are very pretty!!) plus 8-2 1/2" strips for the binding. These kits our volunteers sew together and tie.

LWR Sewing Kits include, 3 yards of fabric, one spool of thread, one card of buttons and 12 needles.

LWR Layettes include in various sizes from 3 months to 24 months-- 2 receiving blankets, 2 onesies, 2 sleepers, 1 sweater, 4 flat fold diapers, 2 washcloths, 1 bar of soap and 2 diaper pins.

If you go to the sites that Nancy mentions in her comment, you will learn how the above kits and quilts are used. It really inspires me to do more.

Thanks for the bag of fabric!!

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah! for all you do Christine and for ALL the others who donate fabric and share their talents as well!! Hope we have a good turn out Sat. to get started on all your quilt kits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, you put us all to shame, well done.
    Welcome back,I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete